National Animal Genetics Resources Centre and Data Bank, a body corporate under the Ministry of Agriculture Animal Industry and Fisheries its mandate is to take a leading role in establishing a comprehensive National Animal Breeding Programme in Uganda, wishes to recruit the following:
1. Job Title: Technical Manager Breeding
No. of Vacancy: 01
Location: Headquarters – Entebbe
Reporting To: Executive Director
Deputy Technical Manager Breeding
Responsible for: Regional Managers/ Breeding and Reproduction
Overall Job Purpose:
To manage the reproduction and breeding of animals using the most appropriate and acceptable breeding technologies and techniques .
• Plans, budgets, designs and oversees implementation of breeding and reproduction programs and projects.
• Participates in the update and maintenance of the National Gene Bank/Depository
• Coordinates the development of guidelines and implementation of field-oriented breeding extension services for field workers, Breeder Societies/ Associations and indigenous farmers.
• Evaluates all imported germplasm and live animals.
• Promotes Open Nucleus Breeding programmes with the farmers in collaboration with breeding activities of Genetic Resources Centre farms.
• Monitors and evaluates the performance of breeding activities Resources Centre farms.
• Monitors and evaluates the performance of breeding activities.
• Develops research proposals and takes part in characterization of breeds, production environments and other related researchable areas.
• Oversees the production or procurement of semen, ova, embryo and associated animal breeding technologies.
• Establishes a foundation stock of superior dams and sires.
• Manages the rearing of Sire Studs for production of semen.
• Coordinates the promotion of herd-recording programmes on Centre farms.
• Initiates and designs project and programs for the formulation of management and production information to be packaged and used in the training programs of NAGRC & DB at different levels.
• Liaises with other genetic resource breeding and research centres to benchmark and improve on breeding technologies and services of the Centre.
• Supervises mentors and appraises staff in the Department.
• Undertakes any other assignment by the Executive Director and the Board
Job Skills: Not Specified
• A PhD degree in Animal Sciences, Veterinary Science or their equivalent from a recognized degree awarding institution.
• Specialized post-graduate training in animal breeding from a recognized institution. • Management Training is an added advantage
• Working experience of at least ten (10) years in animal industry is a prerequisite is a prerequisite
Starting date: Immediately
Age Limit: 35-55 Years
Duration of commitment: 3 years Contract
Salary Expectation: Attractive
Job Education: PhD degree in Animal Sciences
Job Experience: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Closing date 6 May, 2020
All CV, applications and testimonials (including 3 work references) should be sent to:
The Executive Director
National Animal Genetic Resources Centre & Data Bank,
P.O. Box 183 Nsamizi Road, Entebbe
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Dr. Charles Lagu, PhD