Reports to: The Country Director
CORDAID is a Dutch, international non-governmental organization which combines 100 years of experience and expertise in emergency aid and structural poverty eradication.
CORDAID believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for a just and sustainable society where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion tear up societies, we connect people and communities. We also stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders, to make a difference where it is most needed. Together with more than 600 partner organizations in Africa, Asia, the
Middle East and Latin America we structurally improve the living conditions of the poorest and most excluded populations – the bottom billion.
The Country Office
(CO) Controller key role is to provide administrative leadership and ensure effective implementation of the relevant aspects of the country operations strategy through sound standards and in compliance with the procedures and to
report on operations and CO performance. S/he is a member of the Country Management Team (CMT), with overall responsibility of program support and timely completion of annual performance indicators under support functions.
S/he also plays a significant part in qualifying and implementing initiatives coming from the Global Office that is on organizational development and financial accountability. S/he will ensure timely and appropriate communication with Programme Managers regarding all issues related to finance, administration and human resources and work proactively to resolve differences and prioritize time-sensitive tasks..
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Management and Accountability
- Lead and manage the support team and ensure to establish high performing support staff and ensuring high-quality approaches are maintained.
- Develop and improve operational approaches with adherence to systems compliance, and support the Country Director to build and deliver effective and sustainable interventions.
- Responsible for the strategic development, management and implementation of the support operations and ensuring appropriate technical support is available to programs, in line with organizational priorities.
- Lead in the annual budget planning and review processes and accountability.
- Take direct responsibility for ensuring that the Cordaid programme support activities operates in accordance with Cordaid function guidelines, donor requirement and the required accountability
- Manage the daily/monthly/annual financial activities and cycles, ensure each activity/cycle is within the deadlines, and without significant error and maintain the accuracy required to result in satisfactory audit reports.Recommend actions to address shortcomings identified in the audit recommendations, strengthen internal controls and improve organization processes.
- Manages large and complex partnership and projects funds. Ensures cost coverage of theCO and provide strategic management information. Identify bottlenecks in the budgets of the CO & the programme/projects and advice on financial improvements and ways to secure the costs and funds for sustainability of CO
- Pro-activelyinteract with budget holders about cash flow management within projects, following internal control regulations. Conduct routine spot-check on deliveryof programme finance services and regular budget monitoring (budget vs expenditure) and analysis, and so to report on budget performance and to ensure
that the CO is on-track with delivery targets while complying with thefinancial regulations and donor requirements.
- Negotiate about price setting in organization contracts of complex logistical tenders.Collect information within the administrative organizations and report on results and specifics on possible deviations, using required reporting standards and provide solutions to minimize the impact of deviations.
- Continuously advise the CO from a financial perspective on matters that affect business management.
Project Planning and Coordination
- Provide technical support to the Program Managers on program and project budgetpreparation, budget revisions, work planning, no-cost extensions and exit strategies. Co-coordinate project engagements, acceptance documents including participation in contract negotiations.
- Provide advice on goal setting, targets and performance standards for projects and recommend tools for monitoring, evaluation and auditing.
- Provide technical guidance on programme and project cost sharing, deployment of funds and closure.
- Constantly monitor and analyze the operating environment to identify potential risks and take action/refer critical issues for intervention to ensure delivery of results.
- Closely liaise with the Field Managers in order to troubleshoot any issues that might cause interruption in the support services management.
- Manage the support services and Human Resource Management of the CO, adjusting administrative processes in a way that secures donor funding, auditability, timeliness, reliability of service delivery and information, and assure anoptimal cost allocation within country office through ensuring effective coordination between projects and support operations.
- Implement and enforce effective support operating manuals, systems and procedures and ensure they are in line with Cordaid standards and the Uganda Country laws.
- Manage the procurement and review the procedures followed in sub-contract review and awarding of contracts, evaluate for cost effectiveness and manage the negotiations in connection with eventual agreements. Put in place a well-functioning vendor complaint and handling mechanism and address each issue with due process and diligence.
Operations Management and Service Delivery Coordination
- Manage and monitor all administrative, organisation registration and legal-related systems/requirements are updated and to ensure compliance with country law and legislation. Work to build the capacity of the operational support staff throughout the operation and the same is extended to strengthen the partner’s
standards and capacity
Compliance, procedures and reporting
- Prepare monthly financial reports in accordance with the global planning & control cycle including forecast periods and an analysis of the financial results of the office. Ensure to manage and maintain all cash flow forecast based on the various budgets.
- Prepare Financial reports for external donors in accordance with donor agreements and ensure that these are complete and compatible with the narrative reporting.
- Monitor and review the operational activities, contracts with stakeholders, Partners and vendors and its contractual payments/invoices for quality assurance and legal regulations/implications.
- Lead in risk management plan (that identifies the major financial and operational risks) and mitigations for the CO.
- Monitor the overall ‘programme delivery targets’ and ensure that the CO fulfills the specific quarterly delivery of ‘targets’.
- Provide technical advice and operational guidance on innovative approaches to project financing, risk assessment/mitigation and use of financing structures.
- Monitor and supervise all aspects of operations to ensure compliance with organization strategies, rules, regulations, policies, and standards of accountability, ethics and integrity and achievement of results.
Qualifications and skills
- Post graduate degree in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting, professional qualification such as ACCA or CPA and a qualification in Procurement and supply chain management is an added asset.
- At least 7 years INGO or other international agencies experience in finance or operations management and in international humanitarian programs, with a demonstrated ability to set up operational management systems in different large complex programs and direct experience of delivery in humanitarian programs in an emergency response. [note: 3-5 years should be on progressive service in the same position]
- Previous experience working in Horn of Africa, managing complex funding and demanding programme is a preference.
- Proven working experience in delivering major international donor reports and has knowledge of major donor rules including MoFa, UN, EU, and World Bank.
- Proven commitment to accounting practices. Knowledge in AX Financial Accounting Software will be an added advantage.
- Sound experience in Human Resources, administration and logistics management including procurement and fleet management. Experience in tendering and contract management.
- Experience of leading and managing a diverse team of senior staff including international staff.
- Experience in security management and working/living in insecure and sensitive environments. This includes, Knowledge of working in challenging and insecure environments.
- Experience in dealing with local authorities, national and international NGO’s /UN bodies
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations at all levels.
- Proven ability to manage large varied workloads and deal constructively with stress and periods with long hours with ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Proactive, stable and robust character and a good team player.
- Possess strong analytical and conceptual skills.
- Proven management and leadership skills.
- Strong organizational development skills
- Good negotiating skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Problem analysis skills
- Strong people management skills
- Conflict management skills
- Ability to coach subordinates
Cordaid Uganda exist of a small but highly motivated team of different nationalities. There are different learning opportunities and opportunities to grow within the organization. Cordaid in Uganda aims at growing her project portfolio. We are jointly building our team and ambitious to deliver good quality. Team members are flexible and willing to take up other tasks if necessary. In addition to the technical qualifications, we are looking forward to welcoming an equally enthusiastic new team member who wants to contribute to this objective.
An integrity check will be part recruitment procedure
All potential candidates should send their applications and CVs strictly via Email to:
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted